While patients of all ages can benefit from chiropractic care, seniors stand to benefit perhaps more than any other age group from visits to the chiropractor. Chiropractic care has been statistically shown to improve the health of seniors.
According to statistics, the majority of seniors who seek out chiropractic care are looking for treatment of back and/or neck pain. However, chiropractic care can provide more benefits that simply alleviating pain. The following are seven major benefits of chiropractic care in the elderly:
- Improved range of motion- As people age, they tend to lose range of motion in both the spine and the extremities. Chiropractic adjustments prevent loss of motion. Not only can better range of motion keep seniors out of nursing homes, but it also can lead to better quality of life.
- Better balance and coordination- Balance or coordination problems put seniors at an increased risk of falls. Studies have linked losses in balance and coordination with degenerative alterations to the cervical spine that occur naturally over time. A chiropractor detects and corrects these issues.
- Lesser incidence of joint degeneration- A misaligned spine has a negative impact on many different parts of the body. It could increase degeneration in joints and cause many moving parts of the body to wear down prematurely. Chiropractic care benefits the entire body by decreasing spinal stress.
- Lower likelihood of falls- According to statistics, one out of three adults over 65 falls every year. Seniors who fall can suffer from severe injuries like hip fractures, lacerations, and head traumas. Chiropractic care can prevent falls by normalizing cervical spine mechanoreceptors.
- Posture alignment- Chiropractic care can both prevent discomfort and improve health in patients of all ages. However, it's especially important in senior patients who are at an increased risk of aches and pains. Posture naturally becomes more susceptible to distortions with age, but chiropractic care can prevent these distortions.
- Arthritis relief- Statistics show that almost half of adults over 65 suffer from arthritis. Arthritis can detract from a patient's quality of life by preventing engagement in enjoyable activities. Chiropractic care prevents scar tissue and adhesion development in the joints that can cause arthritis.
- A balanced nervous system- Stress reduction is an important side effect of chiropractic care, and lower stress levels promote a healthier immune system. Anything that can benefit the immune system can prevent fatal medical conditions in seniors, who are at greater risk of immune deficiencies.
If you have questions, ask experts at places such as First Chiropractic for help.