Many seniors are reluctant to leave their home and relocate to a senior care facility, such as a nursing home or assisted care community. In many cases, the use of in-home care services can prevent these individuals from needing to leave their long time home behind in search of the daily assistance they require. However, these senior care services will not be right for everyone. As with all senior care services, in-home care will offer both its pros and cons. Taking the time to explore both these good and bad features outlined below can help you to determine for yourself whether or not in-home senior care is right for you.
There are many different benefits that come along with the use of in-home senior care. These benefits include:
- Assistance With Daily Tasks - In-home care services can provide you with the assistance you need to complete a wide variety of daily tasks. These tasks include cooking, cleaning, bathing, dressing, and taking all required medication.
- Companionship - The one-on-one nature of in-home care services provides for a level of companionship that is not found in other senior care options. This can be especially beneficial for seniors who feel isolated in their own home due to mobility issues.
- Convenience - In-home care services truly set the standard when it comes to convenience. After all, there is nothing more convenient than having all of the services you require delivered to you in your very own home.
There are also some disadvantages associated with the use of in-home senior care. These disadvantages include:
- Limited Insurance Coverage - Not all insurance companies will provide coverage for in-home care. Oftentimes, you will be required to prove that you are medically incapable of leaving your home to seek outside services in order for your medical insurance to cover the cost of these in-home services.
- Limited Medical Services - Home
heathaides are not considered medical professionals. Consequently, the medical services that they are able to provide are typically quite limited. This can be a problem for individuals who require frequent medical attention or the administration of IV medications.
- Private Space - In-home care services will require you to allow a stranger into your home. For some seniors, having a home aide in their private space will simply be uncomfortable.
The Bottom Line
While many seniors will find that in-home care services provide them with the perfect opportunity to get the assistance they need, others will find that in-home care simply is not sufficient when it comes to addressing their serious medical needs. If you are still unsure about the use of in-home care services, taking the time to discuss this senior care option with your physician can help you to make a final decision regarding whether or not these services are able to meet your specific needs. To find out more, contact a company like ComForcare Home Care - Montgomery County, PA.